Tuesday 23 August 2016

Where ever the path takes you


It was always going to take me a while to get the next blog out for a few reasons.

1 / I’ve ducked away from the cycling world for a bit,

2 / I was not  really sure what was going on and what the next step would be.

So let’s start with reason number one for taking so long , cycling was a huge part of my life , I spent so much time training , thinking about training , my nutrition , planning races , pushing myself , etc. etc. , to have that in my eyes snatched away was gutting and the more I focused on the fact it was going to be a quickly sorted issue and it really proving otherwise it was not going to be the case , turned the bike from something I loved to something I hated, watching results coming in , pbs getting smashed was just too much, and as much as I wanted to be super happy for friends who were getting the results it’s just made the fact I was barely able to get up off the sofa even more painful.

 

Reason two was always going to be more complex, in my head this was a blip, a few weeks taking it a tiny bit steady and all would be fine I would be back and determined to catch up. This was probably what made the situation being the exact opposite twice as hard to swallow.

I was at the point where walking was hard, sitting down was hard, getting up from sitting down was incredibly painful, lying down hurt. I was trying everything with great backing from Simon and tri force endurance and team bottrill sponsors function jigsaw trying everything to try and recover from the pain and not lose too much fitness on the bike, desperately holding onto the hope this was still just a blip.

I was getting more frustrated daily clinging onto hope, trying to push myself still against best advice, trying to manage training sessions off my own back to prove I could still do it, which would leave me in agony for days after, until it got to the point I just couldn’t keep doing it, I couldn’t do anything without immense pain, I couldn’t even hold my son long enough to feed him a bottle as the pain was too much. Frustration had turned to anger ad it was time to stop.

The following week I disappeared into myself pretty much cutting myself off from everything, how on earth had I gone from niggling pain but training so well to barely being able to stand ? .

I’ve said it before but the people you surround yourself with makes you the person you are, and no one was about to let me become a 20 stone guy sat on the sofa banging on about the glory days.

Simon had a plan, this guy is so full of positivity I was willing to try anything suggested, hours on the phone over the coming weeks was spent trying different focused exercises that had two things in mind , 1/  stop or manage the pain , and 2/ get me strong again. I had to be totally honest with how I felt after every exercise and every movement , it was so hard admitting I couldn’t do the simplest of exercises and a 3 mile commute was harder than the national 100 but honest was needed and Simon wasn’t going to let me bullshit him either.

I had totally ditched the bike by now apart from a very short and very easy ride into work each day (apart from one day I thought I would put a short effort in and it left me in huge pain for about 3 days after) but was spending more time in the gym trying new things and my focus started turning to getting back on the weights again.

I used to go to the gym loads really hammering the weights, I got up to just over 16 stone (I didn’t know the importance of nutrition back then and it was a mix of muscle and way to much food) and I loved it, but as a just over 12 stone cyclist struggling to move around I was thinking weights would be the last thing I should be doing.

I kept it very quiet that I was slowly adding in some weights , not being stupid and trying to be a nutter lifting big weights , because a/ I was probably one of the skinniest guys there , and B/ I was as weak as anything . I wasn’t being stupid either, simple movements that didn’t put pressure on my back, focusing on technique over weight, and I was really enjoying it, the first time in over a month I could focus on something.

Over the next few weeks working hard with Simon the pain got less and more manageable, I knew if I didn’t do certain things I would be less likely to hurt myself again, we did so much work around building strength around the injury with a vision of moving forward not just managing the pain and never moving on. I was still sneaking in weights sessions , reading up on exercises that wouldn’t put added strain on my body, I was finding a new focus , getting that determination back , I could go a few days without any issues at all , it was time to put an effort in on the bike , nothing heavy just a toe dip in the water. I kept this to myself, I was waiting till I felt ready, I had no pressure from anyone to get back on the bike, but I was more worried about them telling me not to try it (thank god they talked me out of a planned 240 mile ride that I was adamant I would still do over two days the day after we found out the extent of the back damage). So off I went, really steady ride that I was just going to get into the drops on the road bike and put abit of power down. I can still feel now the feeling of tingling running right up my back and the feeling my back was on fire getting tighter and tighter and fighting back at every pedal stroke, I was doing 260w when my normal tt power was 370w and it was unbareable.i skidded to a halt screaming to myself in anger, my head had finally told my body that enough was enough. I felt like I had failed , I had let so many people down , good people who had put so much into me , how on earth could I face them and say I couldn’t do it? I spent the next few day sure everyone would be pissed off with me and tell me to get on with it and sort myself out, this couldn’t of been further from the truth, everyone gave me genuine honest support, positive words and encouragement, I had tried everything , pushed myself so hard and they understood how hard it all was , and I will always be hugely grateful to matt and Kate and everyone at team bottrill , rich from jersey pocket and Simon and billy h from tri force endurance for the continued support and encouragement. It’s very rare these days to find genuine people who are not just worried about their own interest so for that I will always be grateful.

My focus now was the gym, I wanted to get strong again this time armed with more knowledge and a view it wasn’t just about being a beef head lifting big weights, I didn’t want to be putting myself into surgery on my back because I wanted to go willy waving in the gym lifting weights that I really shouldn’t be. This was a way of focusing on something positive; there was no way I was taking up a life on the sofa.

Knowing Simon had won awards for his personal training skills and the fact he know my personality and focus so well there was only one person I wanted to help me out, I bugged him to help out and thankfully he agreed , he know what I wanted to do and why and most importantly how fragile my back was.

We had a plan, I was my old self, focused and determined, blabbing on about what if I do this and that and trying to leave no stone unturned.

Things where / are going great I’ve been pushing hard and learning from the bottom getting everything right focusing on technique and taking in every detail of my training plan . I used where / are going great as we had a minor blip. Adding in new exercises was always going to be something that Simon would have a tough game with, the smallest things can hit my back very hard with no warning so it’s a minefield basically; I’ve managed everything with no issues and nothing but positive feedback from my body which has been awesome and such a relief. We have found my big no no exercise and I’m convinced it’s as much me not hitting the technique perfectly as much as the movement of the exercise, but deadlifts are my weakness and we got negative feedback from trying them, so they are out and something else will take its place and the sequence of finding what works and what doesn’t continues.

I’m well into my second week now on Simons plan and I’m as focused and happy as I’ve ever been training. It’s going to be a very long slow road going forward but I’m confident it’s going to be awesome , will I be back on the bike only time will tell and I’m playing it completely as let’s just see what happens.

Again I cannot thank everyone who has helped and continues to help me along the way, I was so lucky to have that help and support and will always be hugely grateful for the opportunities from very genuine people.

I will try and keep the blog going with updates on how the gym training is going and progressing and where the next path takes me.

 

For real strength training from coaches that known what their doing and give a shit , You can find simon at www.triforceendurace.com ,



 

cannot recommend them all highly enough

No comments: